Thursday, February 11, 2010

Valentines day was always a big deal growing up. My dad made it that way. My mom, sister and I would all wake up to a surprise. Accompanied by a bouquet of red roses on the table and single roses in two vases. As valentines day approaches and there is a swarm of advertisements on the web, TV and mail my mind isn't drawn to Clint but these memories of my dad. My dad and mom are two very different people, that when together compliment each other perfectly. My mother is shy at first but becomes center stage after she has warmed up. While my dad is quiet but very approachable, he prefers to be more behind the scenes. When I was younger I thought nothing really of my parents other than they were my parents. Having children of my own I have come to appreciate the person that they are... I so badly want to implement them in how I do things. I have watched my dad with Carson... he began very awkward. I caught him looking at me to see if he was "doing" it right. Smiling I nodded and allowed my mother to take the reigns. As Carson got older he got more comfortable the two of them sit and watch monster trucks and laugh... I have watched him teach. Sometimes it's with Clint, explaining something with stocks or such. I swear he had a large part in why Carson could put a puzzle together at 1. I pick up now when he is trying to teach me something I wish I had done when I was younger. I watch how he interacts with Lacey and remember vaguely similar conversations growing up. How he play fights with Carson and remember all of those same tickle spots. I have never heard my dad speak ill of any one and if he ever caught my sister or I he would correct us promptly. We are coming to yet another milestone in Carson's life he will be two in March. I'm hoping I can share the same things my parents did for me. I feel very blessed to have them around in case I fall short.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

you haven't and wont. they taught you well!

Ash said...

Our dad is the bomb! xoxo