Friday, October 9, 2009

Carson's scare 10/7/09

Carson and I were in our spare room trying to get it cleaned up to make room for baby things. There was a pot of fake flowers in there with a stake that had a humming bird on the end. We have been very proud of him learning all of his animals ! He shows me and starts saying tweet tweet. It was time to head out and get Lace from school I was going to stop by Jamba as a treat for the kids so we were leaving a bit early. I told him come on bud lets go get sis. He got very excited like always and was ready to go. I told him to put the stake back and that's when everything turned sour. He was moving towards the pot and tripped over his own feet and fell. I thought it was just an uh oh because he didn't cry right away. I pulled him up from the floor and as I did the stake came up with him. He grabbed it and pulled it out. Then the screams came. I ran him into the kitchen and was trying to see were he had hit. There was too much blood and it was making him sick. In a panic I started looking for keys as I held a kitchen towel to his mouth. Blood started pouring out and he was getting even sicker. I held him over the kitchen sink and tried to have him rinse it out. Our home phone hasn't been working ( hard to hear the other person on the line) but it was all I had... I called 911 and no one picked up, called again and again no one picked up, called a third time no answer I was furious but was able to leave a message... not a very nice one I might add. As I was picking up Carson to head out 911 called us and told me an officer was around the corner. I flagged her down and the rest is a little foggy. We had about 30 people in our house 3 police officers, 2 ambulances and a fire truck. Carson was very lethargic at this point and had given up trying to cry they put him on a stretcher and started taking him towards the ambulance. I was in I guess a state of shock I kept repeating I had to get Lacey and the officer took my phone and said it was taken care of they had me get into the ambulance with Carson. He was just so still... my son is always moving always on the go I started to cry and the officer grabbed my hand and told me be strong he's watching. We drove like what seemed forever to Banner desert. Clint was there when we got out of the ambulance and my legs started shaking. His eyes gave me no reassurance that everything was going to be okay. We went in the ER where things seemed to move swiftly. He got a cat scan and the Dr came. What had happened is when Carson fell the end of this stick skidded on the hard pallet of the roof of his mouth (closes to your front teeth). It then went through the soft pallet (back by your tonsils) and into his nasal cavity. The concern was did it go through the back wall of his nasal cavity. This is where major arteries and your brain stem is located...... The answer after a long wait and after Clint gave Carson a blessing ... was no. However with this hole in his mouth they couldn't give him anything orally . They were unsure how much it could flood through so they stuck him with an IV. He had problems with the IVs his whole stay and his poor little hand (their fourth attempt) is still so swollen from it backing up/ clotting. Carson slept on and off through the night just wanting reassurance that we were by his side. The next day he slept most the morning and after the doctor got a look his injury had already started to heal. They put him on clear liquids and by the night he was able to have milk which he loved. My mom came and stayed with him the second night so Clint could go to work the next day and I could take on the day shift. We came back early Friday morning to see him in a wagon looking at the bunnies with grandma. We are so blessed that it wasn't any worse. The Ent (ear,nose, and throat) Dr was amazing and put me at ease. He explained for me what to do and gave me his cell phone so I could reach him day or night. His injury looks good and is healing nicely. We have to continue to watch him for neurological issues but we are hopeful that all is going to be well. He is asleep in his own crib now and has a small smile on his face. We are so grateful for the love and support of family and friends. Thank you for the prayers we love you all so much!

4 comments:

The Morris Family said...

So, so sorry for your rough week. Thanks for sharing your story.

Eli, Leslie & Victoria said...

We are soo glad that he is ok and back home. How long did they say it will take him to heal?

Sharla said...

Oh my goodness. What a scare. I got a little shaky just reading that--I can only imagine what you must have been feeling. I am so thankful that he is going to be okay.

Kathy P said...

SOOOOO glad he is OK. Hoping for a speedy recovery!