Saturday, March 20, 2010

untamed

"This is only a phase .... just wait till he gets older," I want to believe this to be true but after hours of trying to get Carson to stay in his bed I realized, this is who he is.... a determined, strong willed, impatient, demanding, little stubborn turkey. Clint's dad was here to witness the event. As I came back into the room, Carson in arm defeated once again he told me something I found very empowering and hope to hold on to. He said back in the old days... when Indians would look to trade or buy horses they wouldn't pick the same a cowboy would. They believed and loved the wild spirit a horse had within. They would choose the most untamed, unfettered rowdy horse of the bunch. They thought once a horse was "broken" his spirit was broken as well. Indians believed that animal and man were considered as being the same, neither one above the other. All things were considered different, but equal, from nature’s perspective and to break part of life’s web meant to break the whole. Very different than the cowboy's point of view. He told me that I couldn't be a cowboy (cowgirl) but that I had to be an indian and work with Carson's strong spirit. This made me think... as I crawled into bed and my son put his head onto my pillow to share, holding my hands, & ocasionally brushing my bangs off my cheek... I have to find this indian mentality.....

4 comments:

Mattie said...

I love that man. I can tell you one thing he may be stubborn and strong willed, but you can look into his eyes and see an unbelievable spirit. I count my blessings everyday for laynee. You have an amazing little man who will do wonderful things for this family:) heavenly father gave him to you because he knew you could handle him:) hang in there. Love you.

Kristin said...

if we only all had people like that to share such wisdom.

you love your unbroken horse lol!and so do all of us.
love love love you

Lauren said...

I love this. Such beautiful insight he shared.

Lindsay Militello said...

Thanks for sharing this. I have a hard time with my strong spirits, too. But reading this post reminds me that in these times the spirits need to be strong in order to win the battle over Satan and resist the evil that is all around them. It is up to us as parents to work with those strong spirits to guide and cultivate them for good.

I'm still trying to figure out just how to do that.